Thursday, March 19, 2020

Coronavirus Invades Los Angeles

"Production is shut down due to Corona Virus!" said the assistant director. "Everyone head back to base camp to sign out and then go home."

That was my last day of work as a background actor before Hollywood shutdown on March 13.

March 12 was the last time I saw my mom; the last time I ate out.

March 13 my son's school notified me they would be closed for 3 weeks.

March 14 my gym closed.

March 15 my jobs on the 16, 17, and 18 were cancelled.

My 401k collapsed.

That was the bad news.

The good:
  • not having to fight with my son over homework
  • taking walks with my wife daily through our empty neighborhood streets
  • having something to discuss with my teenagers that they are actually interested in
  • I finally have enough emergency supplies for the next big earthquake
  • amazing signs of community
  • learning to adapt to a new reality
I will post every two days what interesting (and hopefully uplifting) things I have heard or seen regarding the new reality of Covid-19, and how it affects me, my family, and my fellow background actors, and how I and/or we have adapted.

I hope that you find it interesting and look forward to your comments and questions.

Take care everyone.











2 comments:

Anna said...

March 15-last meal I had with my mom and sister
March 16-my gym closed
March 17-mad at my work for not closing or letting me telework
March 24-victory! telework here I come
March 25-my 403B collapsed

Great entry, John!

John Peters II said...

Thanks for sharing your timeline Anna. Surprised it took so long for your company to allow the telework. Congrats on finally securing it.