Monday, June 27, 2011

Book Review: Blood Oath


Three short sentences on the front cover prompted me to pick up Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth: The Ultimate Secret. The Ultimate Agent. The President’s Vampire. I knew I’d buy the book after I read the first page. It didn't hurt that I have an interest in the Balkans. But aside from that, I really liked how chapter one used a secondary character’s reaction to the vampire to introduce him.

Farnsworth used many different perspectives to tell the story and I liked how he let the reader know the antagonists and significant secondary characters’ goals, fears, and wants.

Most of the action scenes were done well. However, there were some grisly parts.

My primary critique is that the human protagonist was introduced as a complainer which tainted my view of him through the rest of the novel.

Blood Oath is a good, imaginative book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

One of my clients wrote a novel that I think you would enjoy reading. Glenn Meade’s riveting new novel The Second Messiah (Howard Books/Simon & Schuster, August 2011) ponders the question, “What if Jesus was a victim of identity theft?” Incorporating the discovery of an ancient scroll with a controversial message and a battle between entities all jockeying for control of the parchment, Meade wraps historical fact with superb storytelling for an exciting and enjoyable read.

Please let me know if you'd like to receive an advance reader's copy.

thank you.

John Peters II said...

Dear Symbals,
Thank you for the offer. I'd be happy to receive an ARC of The Second Messiah.