Friday, August 1, 2008

"...terrific premise...", but...

On the cover of the sci-fi novel, The Sky People, the following is a blurb by Publisher's Weekly "Rollicking...(A) terrific premise."

While I have to agree that the story has a terrific premise, I don't agree with the rollicking part. It'd be interesting to see what the full review by Publisher's Weekly said.

The premise of cold war settlements on Venus interacting with alien races and what happens when the aliens obtain a bunch of AK47s sounds cool. Stirling created a vivid world and explained in great detail how things were similiar and disimiliar to earth. Flipping through the book now, I notice the author used a preponderance of long paragraphs filled with richly, detailed descriptions. Unfortunately our protagonist was mirred in these lenghty descriptions, while some of the side stories were much more exciting.

I set the book down at page 55, but whether it was because my mind was on other things or my mind wasn't in a sci-fi mode this month I've determined not to finish it. I left off where the protagonist went on a science expedition, that he himself was not excited about, which in turn left me uninterested. It was time to move on.

No comments: