Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book Review: The Hunger Games


I have to thank my fourth-grade son for prompting me to read one of the most engaging books I’ve read in a long time. He wanted the book because a couple of his friends really liked it. He took the book to Grandma’s house one day and didn’t bring it home. I asked why and he said his aunt was reading it and wouldn’t give it back until she was done. What kind of book would excite a bunch of fourth grade boys and my son’s middle age aunt? Intrigued, I read the first page at 10 p.m. Monday night while fighting a cold. I set it down at 4 a.m. Tuesday morning, physically a mess, but mentally jazzed.

Every time I thought I could go to sleep, there was another twist or added level of depth that drew me deeper into Collins’ novel causing me to break numerous promises of just one more chapter. I’ve read lots of books with believable characters, full of suspense, and great pacing, but it was Collins' well-placed twists and ah-ha moments that kept me going and had me say at least three times, that’s awesome.

Criticism? There were a couple of back stories that seemed inconsequential that I skimmed over and there was one scene I’m sure Collin’s had written, but didn’t make the final draft that I would’ve liked to have read.

The Hunger Games is a fast-paced, suspense-filled novel that I could not put down and highly recommend.

No comments: