Thursday, December 30, 2010

Book Review: Wicked

I found Wicked to be a very interesting book. It's definitely not a light read. The first thing I had to do was get rid of all of my candy-coated ideas about the land of Oz from the movie The Wizard of Oz. I should have known a book based on the life story of the Wicked Witch of the West would've been darker than a story about a girl and her dog lost in a mystical land. However, I was not prepared for both the sophisticated writing and complex topics that Maguire dove into. Once I adjusted my mindset, I was pleasantly surprised.

I never read the original story, The Wizard of Oz, or any other novels based on Oz, but based on this book, I think Maguire did a good job fleshing out the land of Oz. I loved the story of the witch's upbringing, childhood, school and early adult life.

However, I didn't quite buy where Elphaba goes from being an extremely smart, but angry woman to wanting to become and be perceived as an evil, wicked person when her whole life she has been looking for a way to save Oz from the evil, wicked wizard.

Still, I really enjoyed the novel and recommend it.

No comments: