Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Coronavirus Hope and Disaster

Hope - according to the New York Times the vaccine has been administered to 1.9 million people in the United States as of Saturday.

Disaster - over 330,000 people in the U.S. have died from covid-19. That is more people than the entire city of Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or St. Louis. It is reported that Los Angeles now has 0 beds available in its ICU and the city has instituted a 10-day quarantine on any travelers visiting or returning to the city.

Coronavirus bomb exploding or its last gasp before being extinguished.

It is as if the virus knows there is a vaccine and is making a last stand to infect as many people as possible on its way out.

I am very fortunate that no one in my family has been infected with the coronavirus. However, there are four people I know along with their family members that have contracted coronavirus within the last two weeks. That is scary close.

Fortunately, I have no condition or situation that would make me high risk for complications. However, that also means I will be last in line for the vaccine unless actors are classified as essential workers. The USA Today said I should be able to receive the vaccine by summer. That seems like forever with infection rates soaring and people around me getting sick. 

Jim Cramer from Mad Money feels there will be a glut of vaccine stocks by the spring as new vaccine manufacturers get their product approved by the FDA. I hope that he is right. First, I do not want to get covid-19. Second, I fear that many countries, states, and employers may require a person to have proof of having been vaccinated in order to travel, go to work, or go to school.

Currently, in Hollywood, everyone has to be tested before they can work on set. The big studios have set up testing facilities for cast and crew and pay them to get tested. However, some smaller productions are asking actors to show proof of a covid-19 test in order to employ you but require you to get tested on your own - unpaid and unreimbursed. I have missed two job opportunities because of this in 2020. 

Hawaii requires a negative coronavirus test in order to visit the state or be subject to a 10-day quarantine.

I foresee a time in the near future where productions will only hire people if they have been vaccinated allowing production to avoid the expense of testing and at the same time ensuring the safety of their sets. I understand this from a business perspective, but it is frustrating for those who can't get the vaccine.

Fortunately, we are not there with yet with vaccine work screenings. Hopefully, Cramer's prediction of a vaccine glut by Spring will come true and everyone who wants to be vaccinated can be without delay.

Take care, be safe, and I hope everyone has a happy and healthy New Year!

Posts Tuesdays



No comments: