Monday, March 2, 2009

Books Into Movies




I received the Watchmen graphic novel for Christmas and for the first time in a long time, read a book before the movie came out. While the novel's good, albeit very "graphic" (see my review), I feel a little bummed out when I see the movie previews. It looks like an amazing movie with great special effects, but I already know what's going to happen. Even worse, I read a review in the L.A. Times where the director mentioned how he tried to be faithful to every page of the comic. Where's the fun in watching the movie if you know every intricate plot twist?




Going the opposite direction, I just started The Golden Compass on the recommendation of a friend. I read to page 32 and had to put the book down. I've seen the movie and know exactly what's going to happen. I keep trying to tell myself, this minor part wasn't in the movie, or I couldn't know Lyra's thought process before, or the writing is good, but I found myself spending an inordinate amount of energy trying to pretend and hope that the book would be different. Not the way I want to spend a week or so of the precious little free time I have in my life.


Bummer.

1 comment:

Kanani said...

I thought the movie was mind-numbing. It just seemed to take forever and well, the plot? Predictable.