Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Enjoying God of War



I finally cheated--and the result was wonderful.


Two years ago, my family received a Play Station 2 for Christmas. I even bought a game for myself that tied in to my interests in classical warfare--God of War. It's the story of a Greek soldier and his attempt to defeat the God of War, Ares.


The first two days playing the game were awesome. The storyline was engaging, the mini-movie sequences were done really well, and the game-play wasn't too difficult. (I will say God of War definitely deserves its Mature rating--there's blood everywhere.)


If you noticed, I said the first two days were awesome. The third day, I made it to a three-headed hydra. I fought the thing for two days, dying again and again and again. I could not figure out how to beat it. All I received were sore thumbs and lots of stress. I set the game aside and it collected dust ever since--until three days ago.


My boys found the game, said how cool it looked, and asked if they could play. Since my boys are not mature I said no, but their bringing the game to my attention got me interested in giving it another go.


That night, after fighting and being killed over and over again by the hydra, I googled the simple question: How do I defeat the Hydra in God of War? I thought, I can't be the only one who is having these problems.


Google came back with dozens of hits. Until this game, I'd always thought the game guides and walk throughs were for lazy people. I didn't realize these things were a necessity with today's complex games.

Here are the two websites that have helped me the most:


http://mycheats.1up.com/view/faq/2018842/28144/god_of_war/ps2


http://www.gamerhelp.com/ps2/GodofWar/113360.shtml


God of War has been so enjoyable ever since; the new adventures, new movies, and even a sense of accomplishment. 95% of the scenarios I've gotten through by myself, but when I've gotten stuck for fifteen minutes or so, I hop online again to see what I'm doing wrong.


Just because someone tells you how to do something, doesn't mean it's easy to do - but at least its doable.


My thumbs are happy and I'm enjoying myself.


Isn't that the point of a game?

No comments: