Saturday, June 20, 2020

Coronavirus The World of Masks


Masks - the new "must have" in fashion. Almost everyone wears one now and almost every store and designer sells them. 

Whether it is Kim Kardashian at $8 a mask under her Skims line to the person down the street selling them on Etsy for $4 each to Supreme with their $120 mask.

People are hungry for masks. I remember a friend suggested that I buy a sewing machine and start selling masks online when the coronavirus hit. I laughed it off. I am not laughing now.

I bought a pair from Vons, my sister from the Disney store, and my mom a mask from Australia. People are even giving masks as presents. On Mother's Day, my wife was given a mask from the chic retailer Johnny Was. 

Some masks have adjustable straps, some have wires over the nose, some are cotton, some neoprene, some have coffee filters, the variations seem endless.

Then I heard about a trikini - a mask that matches your bikini. Serious check it out (photo from article):


Tiziana Scamuzzo/Elexia Beachwear
Most state and local governments require you to wear them, like California, and probably your boss too. Dr. Fauci told the Wall Street Journal the other day, "People keep talking about a second wave, we're still in the first wave."

In Hollywood, everyone on set will have to wear a mask until cameras are rolling at which point only those on screen can remove their masks. 


It seems like masks will be a high demand fashion accessory for quite awhile. And it appears suppliers big and small are meeting the demand.

Now if only the paper towel manufactures could do the same.

Which brings me to the next question. How many masks should a person have? I have four, plus two bandanas and another face covering. My wife has 1, plus two face coverings. My mom 7.


If only I had purchased that sewing machine…

I remember my boys years ago pointing out a woman who walked around our neighborhood wearing  a face shield and mask. How strange, I thought. Now I know she was just ahead of her time.

I hope that everyone is doing well and is enjoying their stylish masks.

Take care.

Posts Tuesday and Saturday



No comments: