Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Coronavirus Hair For Hollywood


For the first time in 3 months, I got a hair cut. Yes, barbershops have reopened in Los Angeles.

The official date was May 26, but I held out until yesterday when work necessitated a clean up.

I needed to film a self-tape to apply for a commercial and knew that "The Old Man and the Sea" look had
Hair 3 weeks ago. Even longer before yesterday's cut.
to go.

Also, my calling service texted me that Governor Newsom and the entertainment industry came to an agreement on opening that will take effect June 12.

It was time to get serious.


I walked into my local barbershop to set an appointment for later in the day, but they were filled until the following evening. It seemed like a lot of people were itching to get rid of their shaggy, coronavirus looks. Seeing my crestfallen face (or my desperate need), they said that they could squeeze me in since their first appointment of the day had yet to show up.


Oh, the pressure. I really wanted to shower first, since I had just finished painting my bathroom the previous day (a long overdue coronavirus project), meaning that I hadn't showered in two days. But the barber didn't seem to mind and sometimes you just have to take the opportunity when it presents itself.

So I got my first hair cut wearing a face mask.

I showed her my Instagram picture of "my look" before the stay-at-home order and asked her to replicate it. She seemed undeterred and began shaping the wild hair.

It was such a pleasant experience, not just the haircut, but also the conversation with someone other than my immediate family members.

Once I got home, I debated shaving off the beard, trimming the beard, or going for a goatee. My wife and mother wanted me to keep the beard, but they were overridden. As I looked in the bathroom mirror, I received a call from a casting director. He wanted to book me on a commercial this week. Talk about timing. His answer regarding the beard, you don't have one in the photos we have in your profile. Enough said. Off went the beard

Quite a change if you ask me. What do you think?

Take care.

Posts Tuesday and Saturday

3 comments:

Cindy Peters said...

Both looks are good. You look slightly younger without the beard though so save the beard photo for the portfolio just in case (and try to remember how long it took to grow). Good luck on the commercial.

xfitgomez said...

Looks good John.

John Peters II said...

Thanks Cindy and xfitgomez. The beard took a month to grow, the hair much longer.