Saturday, May 16, 2020

Coronavirus QR Coded Beaches


Europe, and Spain specifically, are churning out interesting travel rules everyday as they try to figure out how to restart the tourism industry. Tourism accounts for 10 - 30 percent of some countries' GDP. According to The Guardian, it accounts for 12.3% of Spain's GDP.

Some of the more interesting Spanish travel rules include:
  • Popular beaches in Spain will be mapped into 6-foot-square grid pattern which visitors will have to reserve ahead of time using QR codes
  • 14-day quarantines for international travelers
  • Buffets banned
  • Temperature controls at hotel entrances
  • The Canary Islands requiring tourists to carry a digital health passport

Wow. Everyday brings out new travel news.

The outlook for my July trip to Spain continues to dim.

A month ago recreational travel between the US and Mexico was banned until May 20. Then two weeks ago, Mexico closed all non-essential businesses in Baja California until May 31st.

Two days ago, Delta airlines cancelled my June 4 trip to Cabo, although they have not cancelled my return flight.

When I called Delta, the recording said the wait time to speak to a representative was four-and-a-half hours. I decided not to wait. It's not like I was in a hurry to book the voucher or credit as there was nowhere I could fly. I wanted to ask where I could find the credit or voucher online for my cancelled flight as it had yet to appear in my SkyMiles account.

I see photos of people on full flights, but I wonder where these people are going? Hotels, museums, campgrounds, and national parks are closed.

My buddy is hoping to reschedule the Cabo trip for the end of August or September. Will travel restrictions be removed by then?

Los Angeles just announced that the ban on all non-essential workers has been extended to the end of July, but beaches and hiking trails have opened.

Is this a sign campgrounds will open this summer or remain closed.

Currently, you can run, walk and swim at a Southern California beach, you just can't sit on one.

Perhaps we will go the QR code route.

Crazy travel times indeed.

How have your travel plans changed because of the coronavirus?

Take care and be safe.

Posts Tuesdays and Saturdays

No comments: