Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Getting Tested For Coronavirus


Success! I was in and out of the drive-thru testing site in only 40 minutes.

Now the five-day wait for the results.

So why did I get tested if I am not showing any coronavirus symptoms?

When the Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti announced last week that residents could be tested for coronavirus with or without symptoms, I thought, Great! If I can show employers that I have coronavirus antibodies, perhaps that will give me a leg up on getting hired when the entertainment industry reopens. Also, the mayor said, testing everyone would help the city track the coronavirus' spread.

The following day I learned that this was not an antibody test, but a test to determine if you currently have the live virus. Should I still go, I wondered.

I decided to go for two reasons. First, I was curious. Was I an asymptomatic carrier who could be infecting people at the grocery store, at take out, and when I delivered food to my mother? Second, I felt that by taking the test, I was helping the city with their study.

As mentioned above, the testing center was very efficient.

Check out this YouTube video from the City of Los Angeles on what to expect:


To summarize:
  • No eating or drinking 20 minutes before test
  • A hazmat-dressed worker, you can only see their eyes,  confirms that you have an appointment, watched the YouTube video, and then hands you the test.
  • Sitting in your car, you take the test: cough 5 times, swab your mouth, then seal everything up as indicated on the instruction card.
  • Then you drive up to a firefighter who takes your packet with a grabber claw like my grandma had and then you are free.
 Now the wait.

One concern was whether I was taking a test from someone who had symptoms. The mayor said that prior to opening the testing to everyone, the city had excess capacity for testing. I read a report that 3,000 testing slots were not being used daily. He felt the more people tested the better so city officials could get a better handle on how many people have been infected.  Also, anyone with symptoms or first responders would receive testing priority. That is one reason my sign up date was five days from the date I made the appointment.

I am glad I took the test.  I hope everyone else has an opportunity to do so sooner, rather than later.

Is anyone else planning on taking a coronavirus test?

Take care and be safe.

Posts Tuesday and Saturday






No comments: