Sunday, December 14, 2008

Wisdom of a child

Yesterday, I went to Best Buy - after going to two GameStops - trying to decide on whether I would break down and buy a Nintendo DS for my son. As I circled the DS aisle a fifth time, I heard two fathers talking about the craziness of it all. A ten year old stood between them as they spoke about accessories. I paused to see if I could glean any information to sway me one way or the other, when the boy spoke up telling the fathers what to buy - why such and such accessory was good and why they didn't need the other one. Both fathers began questioning the boy and the boy had all of the answers. What a sight. Three fathers - strangers - huddled around a kid asking him for advice.

Once the father and son - with the right equipment - left, the other father and I continued our discussion about the DS. He said, "I've been at this for five hours." He'd gone to Toys R'Us for the system, Game Stop for the games and was at Best Buy for the accessories. Five Hours! I was happy I had only spent two up to that point.

But I must say, the sense of camaraderie the child fostered amongst the lost fathers made for a much more pleasant experience.

And believe it or not, after all that, I did not buy a DS at Best Buy.

I bought it an hour later at Blockbuster.

: )

1 comment:

Kanani said...

That's the handheld one, right? My daughter has a DS. Loves it! Try to buy the game with pets.