Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Positives and Negatives of Work (so far)

I'm finishing up the third week of my seasonal job, and wow, who knew it'd make such an impact on my life.

Negatives:
Writing has become a very rare pleasure - 3 hours in 3 weeks.
I've been able to stay awake until midnight only once since I've been working - previously that was my bed time. Just too tired.
Losing touch with my children's school activities (this is the biggest negative):
-The wife helps the kids with homework now.
- I was unable to volunteer at the school's christmas workshop and family night book fair.
- I just found out my son's teacher is leaving within a week. The meeting discussing this was last night. I never got the message.

Positives:
Wife is preparing dinner nowadays.
Wife is helping kids with homework now. (Yes, its a positive and a negative.)
Finding out how generous the parents in my community are with their time, eagerly helping me put together the cub scout meetings and outings and getting the supplies, as well as stepping in to take over my volunteer activities at my kids' school.
Earning money.
Working in a new industry.

So that's where I'm at now. That's why the blog hasn't been updated in awhile. But, as someone told me tonight, the whole getting wiped out by a new job wears off after a couple of weeks. If tonight's any indication, it looks like I'm turning the corner. I'm writing and I'm still awake at 10:08.

No comments: