Monday, October 27, 2008

The Strange World of Job Hunting

As my job hunt continues, I found today to be quite interesting. I applied with three different companies, all within the same industry and all for the same position. I was surprised by how different the application process was for each company.

The first company wanted the applicants to print out the application at home, complete it and then personally turn it in to the manager.

The second wanted the application to be completed online, including a psychiatric survey of some sort, and when I was done, there was a message saying basically if you meet our criteria, a manager will call you for an interview.

The final one was currently accepting applications, wanting them physically turned in, but the associate I spoke to didn't know if there were any openings because the manager of each department was responsible for staffing. In the end, in the position field, I wrote "open".

I'm not saying one process is better than any other. Obviously, all three processes work as the three companies have all been in business a long time. I just found it interesting how varied each company's method was in finding the right people to make their company succeed.

No comments: