Monday, August 10, 2009

The Great New Light Bulbs of The 21st Century, or Are They?


Over the past year or so, I’ve seen amazing new light bulbs on the market – N:VISION bulbs. Its 60 watt equivalent bulb claims to only use 14 watts of energy to produce the same light as a 60 watt bulb, it’s guaranteed to last nine years (or 10,000 hours), and it has a light output of 900 lumens. The GE reveal 60 watt bulb in comparison has a light output of 630 lumens, only lasts 1,000 hours and burns a full 60 watts of energy.

I was stunned by the enormous advantage the N:VISION bulbs had over the GE bulbs. I was amazed GE was even in the business of making light bulbs any longer. I mean really, even though the N:VISION bulbs cost three times the price of a GE reveal – you get 10 times the life of a regular bulb and cheaper energy bills.

So what’s the problem, you ask. Well, I wanted to see what made this new technological marvel work and why it wasn’t plastered all over the news as a great breakthrough in technology and energy savings.

Well, written in big print on the back of the N:VISION package was the following message:

"Contains Mercury. Dispose according to Local, State or Federal Laws."

I almost dropped the package right there. And imagine if I did - hazmat would have to be called in to clean up.

Here is an entry from Wikipedia in regards to fluorescent lamps:

"When broken indoors, bulbs may emit sufficient mercury vapor to present health concerns, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommends evacuating and airing out a room for at least 15 minutes after breaking a fluorescent light bulb."

I don’t know if N:VISION’s bulbs would be considered fluorescent, but the warning about bulbs containing mercury is scary enough for me.

I mean really, something is being openly made with mercury—today. After the three-eyed fish die offs in the 70’s due to mercury poisoning. Or the fear of every parent who puts their child to bed after receiving their two year inoculations, which contain thiomersal (mercury), hoping or praying that their child wakes up the next morning normal and healthy and not autistic.

John, you're being overly paranoid, you say. There's mercury all around us: in the computers, shots, gold, high fructose corn syrup and so on.

Too true. But let me ask this, nine years after the bulb burns out, who will have retained the disposal information number, let alone the N:VISION package with proper disposal instructions? Even if half the people who buy the bulbs dispose of them properly, how many mini-mercury bombs are going to wind up in the garbage? Hundreds? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

As you can see from the picture above, I’m already using two of the poisonous bulbs. I know, call me a hypocrite. My lame excuse: my wife bought this package and started using the bulbs. I only noticed the problem when I went out to buy a bulb for my desk lamp and started comparing bulbs. Now, I’m waiting for the next hazmat round up in my community so I can toss them. Yes, hazmat and community hazardous waste round-ups are the only way to properly dispose of these bulbs.

Hopefully, the next great energy saving idea of the 21st Century won't be as hazardous to our health.

No comments: