Sunday, May 3, 2009

The New Bell Ringers for Charity


I’m sure everyone out there has been asked by their local grocer to donate money to charity.

I don’t remember when it started. Perhaps it was a year ago when I began noticing the clear plastic cans taped to the check-out counters asking for donations. Then about three months ago I remember being asked by my cashier if I wanted to donate a $1 to charity or round off my purchase to the nearest dollar. And now, not only is the cashier asking me if I want to donate to charity, the touchtone screen where you sign or key in your pin asks you if you want to donate to charity.

So I wondered, are the grocery stores really doing this out of the goodness of their hearts?

When all that was involved was taping a plastic container to the counter, I figured the charity put it there, someone came in once a week to collect the donations and then the container was taped back to the counter for another week, so there was no cost on the grocery store’s part.

But when grocery store cashiers started asking for donations, I started to wonder. I mean, they have obviously had training to ask for donations. The stores definitely put pressure on the cashiers to ask for donations. If the cashiers don’t ask, the customer receives a free 2-Liter soda, and I’m sure the employee would be reprimanded if that happened. Even if a cashier didn’t ask for a donation, I’m not sure I’d be willing to bust them because they didn’t ask. I'd probably thank them.

And now with the inclusion of the message on the touch screen that some computer programmer somewhere had to write the code for, and another to separate the donations from the rest of a customer’s purchase and then someone else in accounting cutting checks to the charities for the donated money, there is obviously a significant cost to the grocery store.

Again I ask, are the stores really doing this out of the goodness of their hearts? Are they really not comped in some way? At a minimum they must be receiving a write-off and the CEO probably receives a nice dinner and certificate at the end of the year by the charity for doing such a wonderful job. I wonder if the charities kick in any money to help train the staff--money that was donated to the cause?

I remember working at a large bank that made a huge push every year for their employees to contribute to a major charity. Sure it was all “volunteer”, but when every employee is required to return a form whether a donation is included or not, with a record of what you donated last year and how much you should contribute this year based on your salary, and departments are recognized based on their level of participation, it all gets a little seedy. Especially, when the scandal broke out in the 90’s about how almost all of that charity's money went to the people who ran the charity and for administrative costs and almost none of the money went to the people in need.

So again I wonder what the grocery store gets out of this pro bono work? Perhaps nothing, just a sense of doing something for the community. But what a great deal for the charities if that’s the case. The charities don’t have to pay people to stand outside the grocery stores begging for money. The charities actually have people working for them inside the store that potential donors have to talk to (we can’t avoid them by walking out the other door otherwise we’d be arrested for shoplifting), who they don’t have to pay. Grocery store employees that can use the peer pressure of those standing in line behind the targeted customer, or their familiarity with the customer to make their customers’ feel like a heel when they tell the cashier that they won’t round that .90 up to a dollar to help needy children.

Perhaps the grocery store's are trying to make up for their heavy handed tactics during the grocery strike--but I doubt it. Nothing's for free.

1 comment:

Kanani said...

I think most corporations like grocery stores and pet stores have nonprofit foundations that they run all their charitable giving through. Usually, a charity group submits a grant to their foundation, detailing what projects they want funding for. If the project falls under those types the foundation wishes supports, it gets put up for review.

It's an organized way for them to give. But in a way, you'd think they wouldn't have to ask for anything extra since they are already making profits on what they sell.

Not all are organized like this, though. But I agree. It does get tiresome being asked.