Thursday, May 7, 2009

Great Military Historical T.V. Series

Now that the Sarah Connor Chronicles are over, I'm finding a dearth of good genre action adventure shows on broadcast t.v. Don't let me get started on Heroes.

Thankfully, last week my best friend told me about The Deadliest Warrior series on Spike T.V. (http://www.spike.com/show/31082) Fortunately, for those of us without cable, many cable networks play their most recent episodes of t.v. shows online. So I've had the opportunity to watch who would win in the following death matches: Ninja versus Spartan and Pirate versus Knight.

While the show is entertaining, it is also quite maddening. For example, in the Ninja versus Spartan fight, the ninja was weighed down with a ton of weapons. Sword, flash bombs, a sickle on a chain (I forgot the name), a blow gun and who knows what else. Plus he is a fighter used to fighting one on one and by stealth where as the Spartan is all about protecting the man on your left-team fighting-and fighting your enemy face to face. I guess that's the point. Pitting two very different fighters against each other. And while I was saying, no way he wouldn't do that, or carry all that gear, I must say the show was interesting. And it makes for a good discussion later when you pull for one guy and your buddy is pulling for another. I won't spoil the ending, just watch the cool five minute clip.



That being said I wanted something different tonight. Something with a slightly less reality/game show feel and didn't have a chance of upsetting me.

So I went to Hulu.com. On a post early last year, I raved about Hulu.com's free t.v. shows and movies and how they actually had all of the episodes of Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot. While it is still a great site, it seems like they've gotten more into t.v. shows and less into movies this year. As I was searching t.v. shows as most of the the movies were pretty low quality, I there were quite a few links to History Channel t.v. shows.

Battle B.C. (http://www.history.com/content/battles-bc) is now my favorite new show (at least until and if The Sarah Connor Chronicles returns). It is the History Channel's new t.v. series where the greatest battles of antiquity are discussed by experts and replayed with cinematography reminiscent of Frank Miller's 300.

Tonight, I watched the episode discussing Alexander the Great's last major campaign-the invasion of India. It was awesome! If you love ancient military history, this series is for you.

Enjoy.

No comments: