Thursday, February 5, 2009

No More Science Fair

I was shocked to read in my son's school's newsletter that his elementary school has decided to do away with their science fair – except fourth grade.

Instead, his highly-ranked school has planned a Mad Science demonstration, a Super Scientist Night with scientist from the local community showing off their projects, and three teacher-guided in-class science projects to meet grade-level standards.

While these are really, really great activities to get children excited about science, it seems to me the next logical step would be to cap off the year with a science fair where children get to make and present their own project based on what they learned.

Perhaps I’m being selfish having enjoyed science fairs as a child and helping my son with his project last year, but isn't participating in a science fair a right of passage? See Jimmy Neutron or Meet the Robinsons or any other plethora of children's movies or books based on a school's science fair. Our local library has an entire shelf devoted to science fair projects.

I feel there is something to be said for a child planning out his own experiment, conducting research, creating a display, learning something new and presenting it to class. Not to mention pride in showing it off to his friends and family. Last year's science fair was packed with families taking pictures of their kids standing next to their projects.

My son had asked me twice this year when his school would have its science fair. When I told him I learned that there wouldn’t be one, he had a noticeable frown.

A teacher mentioned they didn't believe in at-home projects in general because they put a burden on time-starved families, and in many cases, the parents do most of the work anyway.

I understand that rationale, but even if some parents did do most of the work, the child still has some input on the project, learns something new, and has to present it to their class thereby improving numerous skills.

And if the concern is too much of a time-burden on the parents, perhaps schools could make participation in the science fair optional like the PTA’s Reflections Campaign or the talent show, instead of canceling the fair outright.

To take science fairs out of a child's experience really sucks. I hope this isn’t a national trend.

1 comment:

Kanani said...

My son did really well in his science fairs.
I'm sorry to see it go.