Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Elections - What the...!!!!!



When I walked in to my polling place this morning, I noticed two men standing outside the door to the polling stations. One wearing a McCain/Palin t-shirt was talking loudly and negatively about Obama and his supporters. I went inside voted and came out. The two men were still standing by the door and the one McCain guy was still talking loudly about Obama. Here is the law on electioneering at polling stations from justicia.com (http://law.justia.com/california/codes/elec/18370-18371.html):
******18370. No person, on election day, or at any time that a voter may be casting a ballot, shall, within 100 feet of a polling place or an elections official's office: (a) Circulate an initiative, referendum, recall, or nomination petition or any other petition. (b) Solicit a vote or speak to a voter on the subject of marking his or her ballot. (c) Place a sign relating to voters' qualifications or speak to a voter on the subject of his or her qualifications except as provided in Section 14240. (d) Do any electioneering. As used in this section, "100 feet of a polling place or an elections official's office" means a distance 100 feet from the room or rooms in which voters are signing the roster and casting ballots. Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor. *****
So I asked the McCain supporter if he was a poll worker because I remembered as a former poll worker that poll workers could not wearing political clothing and something prohibiting electioneering near a polling station. The McCain supporter said he wasn't a poll worker and asked me why? I explained because poll workers can't wear political clothing. At which point the other man identified himself as a poll worker and that he had asked the McCain supporter to leave the polling station. At which point the McCain supporter started yelling that I had no right to tell him his beliefs and what he could and could not wear and that if I didn't like it we could take it outside. I said I didn't want to take it outside, only that a poll worker couldn't wear political clothing. He continued to vent at which point I asked him if he was trying to intimidate me. He paused, then continued his rant, urging me to take it outside. Fortunately, I remembered seeing a cop half way down the block. As I exited city hall, the McCain supporter followed me, so I made a beeline for the cop. I started to explain to the cop that this individual had threatened me, when the McCain supporter jumped in and said that I was intimidating him, telling him who to vote for, that he was a fire fighter and he knew his rights. (Me intimidating him? The dude was 6'2" and I'm a whopping 5'8".) I said that's a lie and that I had witnesses at the polling station that could verify that he was threatening me. At that point the McCain supporter finally shut up--for a moment. But then he went back into how I was attacking his beliefs and freedom of expression. The cop said he didn't know the law but if we've both voted the McCain supporter should go to his truck and I should go in the opposite direction. We did so. As the McCain supporter passed the polling station he said something to the poll worker he had been speaking with earlier, then moved on. It turns out the poll worker had been watching the exchange with the cop.
Damn, dude, I thought this kind of stuff only happened to other people and in other states. California isn't even a battleground state. I can't imagine what's happening in other places.
Truly insane.

1 comment:

Kanani said...

There are stupid people everywhere. The poll worker should have called the cops when the dude wouldn't leave. All he had to do was tell the cops the rules, the cops would have gotten the weird guy to leave.

Seems to me that the poll worker was really lame and NOT enforcing the rules.

Sorry this happened. Hope you voted for Obama.